Thursday, November 15, 2007

Now that's what I call friendship

In an earlier posting, I mentioned someone having to get by with 8,5 euros a day. That someone is me after my experience as an entrepreneur last year. Should have invested those 100 euros a month to hire a bookkeeper...

It's not a "call the UN" type of situation - the budget is counted after I've paid all the bills, the mortgage, and the massive taxes I now have to pay. But it is hard sometimes to get by on such a small amount when you're living in downtown Helsinki and your social life is almost completely somewhere else than in your own flat. Plus I absolutely can't buy any clothes, books, gifts (except really cheap ones...) or anything extra. So I've had to start telling people why I can't go anywhere and spend any money anymore, not before March anyway.

I know the friend I'm talking about would be embarrassed if I told her name here so I won't. But she happened to ask me if I'm still giving money to charity in my "situation". There are two sponsor payments that are charged automatically from my bank account every month and I haven't wanted to put them on hold. It's not a huge sum, not very small either, but to be honest right now I could come up with many other uses for the money.

My friend offered to pay me those for 4 months and before I even realized, she had put the money on my bank account. Summed up, 4 months worth of those payments look like - and are - a lot of money, and she's not a rich woman. A normal working mother of 2 with big bills from the house they've recently built.

There are more ways to help friends out than we ordinarily figure. Thank you, my friend, for your creativity and for having such a big heart!


P.S. Greetings from Singapore, arrived here today and on Saturday we'll fly to Aceh to visit our tsunami relief project. It should make me shut up about not being able to buy any foods I like from the supermarket of my choice. For a while at least.

No comments: